Friday, June 18, 2010

I have Torch Lilies(red hot pokers)

It has taken me several years to get them growing but I have red hot pokers galore. I haven't bought any of them. I started transplanting them when one of our neighbors was selling her land. I rationalized that nobody would miss them and I wanted them.

Red Hot Poker
(Torch Lily)
Side yard
Back Yard

They have been gorgeous in their vibrant orange and yellow bloom for the last two weeks. They are starting to fade now. 

These flowers are the most popular flower in Ruidoso.

The stately flowers of the Torch Lily, Kniphofia uvaria provide a dramatic display, when grown in a space where the entire plant is visible. The multi-colored flower spikes will reach 2-5 feet in height, depending on the variety. Kniphofias must be grown in full sun. Provide adequate spacing for these plants which may spread up to three feet over time. Good drainage is essential to prevent crown rot, otherwise these plants are tolerant of most soil types. Although they will survive periods of drought, they will do better if they are given abundant water during hot weather. Fading flower spikes should be removed promptly, to encourage more bloom.  (I found this info on the internet)

The plants that I have in the shade don't bloom well.

The hummingbirds, butterflies and bees love them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment