Sunday, October 10, 2010

Susan G Komen training update

I sent this letter out to my donors tonight. Just a summary of my training.

I just wanted to update you on my training and upcoming walk in Dallas on November 5, 6, & 7th. You along with 37 other donors made it possible for me to take this journey by raising $2740.

At the end of May, I started my training and continued it through the summer while we were in Ruidoso, NM, and now back in Oklahoma City. The cooler weather and mountains helped with my training. I usually walked at least 4 days a week & played pickleball at least 4 days a week. My highest mileage so far is 17 miles with the next day being 13 miles. I have 3 more weeks of training for the walk and will be walking an 18 mile day during that time. My body has held up well so far except for a few blisters. I have walked at least 525 miles so far in the training and have more to walk. Hope this old body holds up!

I know this sounds like a struggle but it is nothing compared to the struggle women and men go up against when they are diagnosed with breast cancer. This is my way of supporting those men and women. My sister, Ricki and I are walking for our mom, Jodean Martin, a cancer survivor. I would like to walk for someone you know that is a survivor, died from breast cancer or is dealing with it now. Please send me their name in the next few days. I want to recognize them at the walk & walk for them also.

I will update you again after my walk. I am looking forward to this experience you have given me. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

These are some pictures I took while I was walking at Hefner lake this morning.

We are getting a good thunderstorm tonight and cooling down this week.

I finally got everything unpacked and put up in its correct places.
  • Don and I went and played pickleball with the group at the Sante Fe club.  They have about 4 or 5 that play.  We are trying to recruit some others in our neighborhood to start playing. 
  • I got my hair colored and cut after 4 months.  It feels so good. 
  • Walked 15 last Wed, 6 on Friday, 10 today. No new blisters.
  • We had a neighborhood breakfast on Saturday and one of the neighbors had everyone over for happy hour that evening.  
  • Visited with Mom on Saturday and we cleaned out her closet changing summer clothes out to winter clothes.
  • Reserved airline ticket for the Dallas walk.  Ricki and I are going to Kenna's on Wed the 3rd and coming back Monday the 8th. 
  • Shopped at Mistletoe Market(Junior League) on Friday.
  • Abby hurt her back again on Saturday.  Tired to call Vet in Capitan but haven't heard back yet. I don't think it is as bad as before but she is in pain.  We are giving her aspirin. 
  • Thena took her new husband home from hospital with a new stint and he is recovering well.
  • Don started working out again and his wounds are healing from the scooter accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment